Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight-ahead position and place the key in the LOCK position. Remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Disconnect the negative battery cable and insulate the cable end with high-quality electrical tape or similar non-conductive wrapping.
CAUTIONWait at least 1 minute before working on the vehicle. The air bag system is designed to retain enough voltage to deploy the air bag for a short period of time after the battery has been disconnected.
Remove the steering wheel and air bag module, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the lower and upper steering column covers.
- Remove the clock spring and column switch assembly.
- Separate the clock spring and column switch assembly.
Install the clock spring and column switch assembly, as follows:
WARNINGEnsure that the clock spring-s mating marks are properly aligned. If not, the steering wheel may not rotate completely during a turn, or the flat cable in the clock spring could be damaged, This would prevent normal SRS operation and possibly cause serious injury to the driver.
- Install the upper and lower steering column cover.
- Install the steering wheel and air bag module, as outlined in this section.
- Remove the tape or insulation from the negative battery cable, then connect the cable.
- Turn the ignition switch ON and make sure the SRS lamp lights for about 7 seconds. If so, the SRS system is operating properly.