Removal & Installation
- Position the front wheels in the straight-ahead position and place the key in the LOCK position. Remove the key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Disconnect the negative battery cable and insulate the cable end with high-quality electrical tape or similar non-conductive wrapping.
CAUTIONWait at least 1 minute before working on the vehicle. The air bag system is designed to retain enough voltage to deploy the air bag for a short period of time after the battery has been disconnected.
- Remove the instrument lower panel.
Insert Special Tool MB990784, or equivalent trim removal tool, at the indicated position to remove the cover.
NOTEThe special tool can be inserted through the notch behind the area shown.
- Remove the air bag module assembly, as follows:
Use special tool MB990803 or equivalent steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel from the shaft.
Disconnect the sub-harness.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers.
- Remove the clock spring and column switch assembly.
- Remove the ignition lock cylinder, as follows:
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, noting the following:
- When installing the steering wheel, and air bag module ensure that the harness of the clock spring does not become caught or tangled.
- Before installing the steering wheel, and air bag module turn the vehicle-s front wheels to the straight-ahead position and align the mating marks of the clock spring.
- After securing the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel all the way in both directions to confirm that the steering wheel rotation is normal.
- Refer to the accompanying illustration for tightening specifications.
- Remove the tape or insulation from the negative battery cable, then connect the cable.
- Turn the ignition switch ON and make sure the SRS lamp lights for about 7 seconds. If so, the SRS system is operating properly.