- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Remove the right side and right front undercovers.
Drain the power steering fluid, as follows:
- Detach the return hose connection, then attach a rubber hose to the return hose, and drain the fluid into a suitable container.
- Disconnect the ignition coil connectors. For more information, refer to the Engine Electrical Section.
- While operating the starter motor intermittently, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right several times to drain all of the fluid.
Attach the return hose securely, then secure with the clip.
Remove the drive belt, as follows:
- Securely insert the spindle handle or ratchet handle with a 12.7 mm (1/2-inch) insertion angle into the jig hole of the auto-tensioner.
- Rotate the auto-tensioner counterclockwise and align hole A with hole B.
- To reuse the drive belt, draw an arrow indicating the rotating direction (clockwise) on the back of the belt using chalk, etc.
Insert an L-shaped hexagon wrench, etc. into the hole to fix and then remove the drive belt.
- Disconnect the suction hose.
- Detach the pressure switch connector.
- Disconnect the pressure hose.
- Remove the power steering oil pressure sensor harness clamp.
- Remove the control wiring harness clamp.
- Remove the battery wiring harness clamp.
- Remove the engine oil dipstick and dipstick guide. Remove and discard the O-ring.
- Remove the power steering oil pump and bracket.
- Separate the oil pump and bracket, as follows:
- Install the power steering oil pump to the bracket. Tighten the retainers to the specifications shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Install the power steering oil pump and bracket assembly into the vehicle. Tighten the retainers to the specifications shown in the accompanying illustration.
- using a new O-ring, install the engine oil dipstick guide and dipstick.
- Install the battery wiring, control wiring and power steering oil pressure sensor harness clamps.
- Attach the pressure hose.
- Connect the pressure switch connector.
Connect the suction hose. Make sure the mark is positioned as shown in the accompanying illustration.
- Install the drive belt.
- Install the engine undercovers.
- Fill the oil reservoir with GENUINE MITSUBISHI POWER STEERING FLUID up to the lower position of the filler, and then bleed the air from the system, as outlined later in this section.