REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the transmission.
- Insert the forward end of an old transmission input shaft or a clutch disc guide tool into the splined center of the clutch disc. This will keep the disc from dropping when the pressure plate is removed from the flywheel.
- Loosen the clutch mounting bolts alternately and diagonally in very small increments (no more than two turns at a time) so as to avoid warping the cover flange. When all bolts are free, remove the pressure plate and disc.
- Remove the return clips from the throwout bearing and fork, and then remove the throwout bearing.
- Remove the release fork by pulling it downward, so the retaining clip fulcrum will be pulled away from where the clip is attached to the fork, not toward it.
- Remove the return clip and then remove the release bearing.
- Use a center punch and hammer to remove the spring pins from the clutch release fork and shaft. Discard the spring pins; they are not reusable.
- Remove the release shaft. Remove the release fork, seals, and return spring.To install:
- Before installing the clutch, pack the release fork fulcrum hole and slave cylinder pushrod hole with grease. Also pack grease into the groove on the inside diameter of the throwout bearing.
- Wipe all friction surfaces of the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel to remove any grease or oil. Lightly grease the clutch disc splines and transmission input shaft splines.
- Locate the clutch disc on the flywheel with the stamped mark facing outward. Use a clutch disc guide or old input shaft to center the disc on the flywheel, and then install the pressure plate over it. Install the bolts and tighten them evenly. Torque to 18 Nm (13 ft. lbs.).
- Install the transmission in reverse of removal, making sure the input shaft is lined up properly to avoid bending it.
The 1990-95 Pick-ups equipped with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engines have cable-actuated clutches and the 1990-95 Monteros and Pick-ups with 3.0L engines are equipped with hydraulic clutches, however the procedures for removing the clutches from the flywheels is the same.
- Remove the transmission. For the procedures for the removal of the transmission, refer to the previously described instructions in this section.
- Remove the clutch cover from the flywheel by unbbolting the mounting bolts. Do not allow the clutch disc to fall. If the disc is to be reused, install the clutch disc guide tool before removing the clutch disc.