REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Inside the vehicle, release the glove box stopper by pressing it towards the center of the cab and swinging the door downwards.
- Reach behind the radio and disconnect the antenna cable.
- Remove the right sill plate and remove the cowl side trim (kick panel).
- Outside the vehicle, remove the inner liner from the right front wheel arch. On 4-wheel drive vehicles, remove the mud flap first. This job is easier with the front end elevated and supported with the wheel removed.
- Remove the antenna mast by unscrewing it from the base.
- Remove the upper mounting nut and the lower retaining bolt.
- Remove the antenna base from the fender area and carefully extract the cable.
- Install the new antenna base and secure the top nut and bottom bolt.
- Route the cable into the cab and route it correctly to the radio.
- Install the splash shield using two-sided adhesive tape along with the mounting screws. Install the mud flap if it was removed. Replace the wheel and lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Check the cable routing and position it so that it is not in the way of anything including the passenger's feet. Connect the cable to the radio.
- Install the kick panel and the sill plate.
- Swing the glove box into position and engage the stopper.
See Figure 3
This procedure is for the removal of the front fender mounted antenna. To remove the whip antenna feeder cable, the front and rear console, the front passenger's seat, the rear seat, the cowl side trim, center pillar trim, the quarter trim lower and the carpet must be removed from the vehicle to gain access to the feeder cable. The cable itself plugs in at the radio and back by the rear fender. Replacing the antenna base on 1983-91 Monteros requires removal of the right front fender. While not extremely difficult, it may be more work than you wish to undertake. The mast may be replaced separately by simply unscrewing it from the base. The following procedure is for replacing the base and cable as a unit.
- Loosen or remove the radio or center console and disconnect the antenna cable.
- Release the glove box stopper by pressing it towards the center of the cab and swinging the door downwards.
- Reach up through the glovebox opening and detach the antenna retaining clips.
- Remove the upper mounting nut from the fender top. Unscrew the antenna mast from the base.
- For 1983-91 Monteros, remove the front fender.
- On 1992-95 Monteros, remove the splash shield under the right front fender wheel well.
- Remove the upper part of the antenna base and carefully pull the cable through the hole. Disconnect the electrical harness if the Montero is equipped with an electrical antenna.
- Disconnect and remove the antenna base and electric motor, if so equipped.
- Install the antenna base (and motor) and the new ground base (upper part). Route the cable into the vehicle and to the radio. Make sure it will not interfere with any moving parts or the passenger's feet.
- Plug the electrical harness connectors together, if so equipped.
- Reinstall the fender, if removed.
- Install the wheel well splash shield. Apply butyl rubber tape to the flange part of the fender before installing the splash shield. Use 3M® No. 8626 or No. EC-5310 or equivalent.
- Install the antenna mast and tighten the upper retaining nut.
- Route the antenna cable into the retaining clips.
- Install the glovebox and stopper.
- Reinstall the radio and/or center console.