REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
It is advisable to use two people while removing the hood from the vehicle. The hood is lightweight and can be easily damaged by twisting or dropping it.
- Open the hood and support it by the prop rod.
- Use a felt tip marker or grease pencil to mark the hinge location on the hood.
- Disconnect the windshield washer lines running to the hood if any. Disconnect the wiring to the underhood light if so equipped.
- Remove the bolts attaching the hood to the hood hinges. Have a helper support the rear of the hood as the bolts are removed. Without support, the hood will slide off the hinges and hit the upper bodywork.
- Remove the hood assembly, lifting it off the hood prop. Place the hood out of the work area, resting on its side on a protected surface.
- Reinstall the hood by carefully placing it in position and installing the hinge bolts finger-tight. Install the hood prop immediately. Move the hood around on the hinges until the matchmarks (felt tip marker) align.
- Adjust the hood. When the hood is in final alignment, tighten the hinge bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Reconnect the washer lines and any electrical wires which were disconnected.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- Open the hood and support with the hood prop.
- Loosen the hinge bolts until they are just finger-tight.
- Close the hood-at least engaging the first latch-and check the hood-to-fender and hood-to-cowl seams and alignment. Re-open the hood and make adjustments as needed to give equal seams all around. When the hood is in final alignment, tighten the hinge bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Check the hood latch operation; it should engage easily and smoothly. The latch should release without the use of excessive force. The hood latch mounting bolts may be loosened; the latch can be adjusted left/right or up/down to compensate for the hood striker position. On Montero, the striker (on the hood) can also be adjusted by loosening the bolts.
- With the hood closed and latched, check the height of the hood. It should sit even with the fender tops; this dimension may be adjusted by turning the hood stops to a higher or lower position. Note that adjusting these stops may require readjustment of the latch to position the hood correctly.
- Make sure, after all adjustments are made, to tighten all mounting bolts and nuts.