REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Although there are slight differences between the power sunroofs in the 1989 Monteros and 1990-95 Monteros, this procedure is for all Monteros with power sunroofs.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the sunroof switch off of the switch, then disconnect the electrical harness plug.
- Remove the headliner from the Montero-refer to the headliner procedures found later in this section.
- Close the sunroof fully, then remove the motor.
If the sunroof does not move or can not be closed, matchmark the roof lid and guide rail.
- Place matchmarks on the motor intermittent gear and bracket.
- Remove the control unit.
- Remove the rear set bracket, then extract the sunroof assembly. After removal of the sunroof assembly, remove the front set bracket.
- Unless necessary, do not remove the drain hoses. To remove the hoses, however, tie a rope to the end of the drain hose. Wind a tape around it so that there is no unevenness, and pull the drain hose into the inside of the passenger compartment.
- If the drain hoses were removed, tie the rope that was used during removal to the end of the drain hose, then wind tape around it so that there is no unevenness.
- Pull the rope to pull the drain hose through the hole.
- Pull the drain hose until the protruding length from the grommet is as shown in the figure. Align the rear drain hose with the body hole with the marking at the bottom.
- Install the front set bracket, then install the sunroof assembly. Install the rear set bracket.
- Install the control unit into its position.
- When installing a new motor assembly, open the sunroof glass approximately 7.9 in. (20.0cm), set the hole of the intermittent gear so that it is aligned between the teeth of the motor assembly transmission gear, and then install the motor assembly. If installing the old motor, line all of the matchmarks up and install the motor. Apply a small amount of multipurpose grease to the smaller motor gear.
- Install the headliner into the vehicle.
- Plug the electrical harness connectors back together and install the sunroof switch. Install the sunroof switch cover.
- Connect the negative cable to the battery.