REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands for access.
- Lower the spare tire and remove it from the carrier.
- Remove the cotter pin and bolts attaching the spare tire hoist to the frame.
- Remove the spare tire hoist from the frame.
- Align the tire carrier with the crossmember and shaft, then connect it with the pin, retainer and bolts. Tighten the bolts to 6-9 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- Mount the spare tire onto the carrier so that its outer sidewall is upward, then tighten to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) of torque using the jack handle and wheel nut wrench.
- Lower the vehicle back to the ground.
See Figure 3
- Loosen and remove the spare tire mounting lug nuts from the tire carrier.
- Pull the spare tire off of the carrier and set aside.
- Unscrew the six spare tire carrier mounting bolts, then remove the carrier from the back door.
- To install, set the carrier on the back door and align the mounting holes.
- Insert the mounting bolts and tighten them until finger-tight.
- Tighten the mounting bolts in a crisscross fashion to 6-7 ft. lbs. (8-10 Nm) for 1983-91 Monteros or to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) for 1992-95 Monteros.