The coil spring front suspension is only equipped on rear wheel drive Pick-up trucks.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Elevate the vehicle and support safely on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Remove the bump stop and disconnect the stabilizer bar from the lower control arm. Note that the rubber bushings for the stabilizer are not all the same. They are NOT interchangeable and should be labeled or identified for correct reassembly.
- Install spring compressor tool (MB-990792 or equivalent) to the coil spring and to compress the spring. Make absolutely sure the spring compressor is correctly installed before compressing the spring.
- Remove the cotter pin and lower ball joint nut. Place a floor jack under the control arm; elevate the jack to within 1 in. (25mm) of the arm.
- Release the lower ball joint from the knuckle using a ball joint separator such as MB 990809-01 or equivalent tool. The arm will drop onto the jack as the joint comes loose.
- Slowly release the compressor tool from the coil spring.
- Lower the jack as necessary, pull the arm down and remove the spring with the rubber isolation pad and upper spring seat from the vehicle.
- Install the spring with the rubber isolator. Make sure the spring seats correctly in its upper and lower mounts. Install the compressor tool and compress it enough so the lower ball joint can be inserted through the knuckle. Use the jack to support and adjust the height of the lower control arm during installation.
- Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm). Install a new cotter pin. Remove the spring compressor.
- Install the bump stop and install the shock absorber. The shock absorber mounting bolts (upper and lower) are tightened to only 10 ft. lbs. (13 Nm). The bump stopper mounting bolts should be tightened to 51-61 ft. lbs. (70-85 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer bar, remembering to install the rubber bushings and hardware in the correct locations. Tighten the sway bar bolt until the bolt threads project 0.87-0.94 in. (22-24mm) beyond the nut.
- Install the wheel and lower the vehicle to the ground.