This procedure is for shock absorbers mounted separately from the spring. It does not apply to MacPherson or other strut systems.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Support the vehicle safely on jackstands. Support it at a height which will allow sufficient room to reach the upper shock absorber mount.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the upper shock nut, washer and bushing.
- Remove the lower mounting bolt(s) and remove the shock from the vehicle.
- Install the shock absorber in the vehicle and loosely tighten the upper shock absorber nut. Make sure the install the bushings and washers before installing the upper nut.
- For 4WD vehicles, install the shock absorber so that the white paint mark at the lower side of the shock absorber faces the outer side of the vehicle. Install the lower shock absorber bolt(s). On 1992-95 Montero torsion bar suspensions, tighten the single lower mounting bolt and nut to 65-76 ft. lbs. (88-103 Nm). On all other vehicles (whether torsion bar or coil spring suspensions), the two lower shock absorber mounting bolts should be tightened only to 7-10 ft. lbs. (9-14 Nm).
- On 1992-95 Monteros, tighten the shock absorber installation nut so that the dimensions shown in the illustration ( A and B ) are at the standard values. These standard values are: A-0.04-0.08 in. (1-2mm), B-0.06-0.10 in. (1.5-2.5mm).
- On all other vehicles, once the lower mounting bolt(s) are tightened, tighten the upper shock absorber mounting nut all the way to the end of the thread on the shock absorber stud, then tighten the locking nut to 9-13 ft. lbs. (12-18 Nm).
- Install the wheel.
- Lower the vehicle to the ground.