With the control arm removed, check the starting torque required to turn the ball stud. Install the nut back onto the ball stud. Then, with an inch lb. torque wrench, measure the torque required to start the ball joint rotating. The specification for all vehicles is 7-30 inch lbs. (0.8-3.5 Nm). If the ball joint fails this check, replace the ball joint on 1983-86 Pick-ups and 1983-95 Monteros, or replace the upper control arm assembly on 1987-95 Pick-ups.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The upper ball joint and upper control arm must be replaced as an assembly on 1987-95 Pick-ups.
- Elevate the vehicle and support it safely on jackstands.
- Remove the upper control arm-refer to the procedures in this section.
- Remove the ring and boot from the ball joint.
- Remove the snapring from the upper ball joint by using a pair of snapring pliers.
- Press the upper ball joint out of the upper control arm by using tools MB 990800-2-01, MB 990800-3-01, MB 990800-4-01 and MB 990799-01, or equivalent installing tools.