REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
On 1983-89 Pick-ups and Monteros, the windshield wiper switch is integral with the headlight switch. See the procedure for headlight switch removal and installation. On 1990-95 Pick-ups and 1990-93 Monteros, the windshield wiper switch is a part of the column-mounted combination switch. See the procedure for combination switch removal and installation, later in this section. On 1994 and later Monteros, the windshield wiper and washer switch is separate from the column switch.
The rear wiper and washer switches found on Monteros are also covered in this section. Pre-1994 rear wiper and washer switches are the toggle-button variety and are located on the instrument panel. The 1994 and later Monteros have their windshield wiper and rear wiper/washer switches combined on the steering column.1983-93 Montero
REAR WIPER/WASHER SWITCH
See Figure 1
- Insert a plastic trim tool under the edge of the switch and pry the switch to remove it from the instrument panel.
Using an ohmmeter with side-mount terminals, check for continuity in the switch as follows:
Terminals 7 and 2 should be continuous when the wiper switch is in the ON position.
- If the switch failed any of the tests, replace it with a new unit.
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable from the battery.
- Disconnect the electrical wiring from the back of the switch and remove the switch.
- To install the switch, attach any electrical wiring removed earlier.
- Push the switch back into its hole on the instrument panel until it clicks in place.
- Attach the negative (-) battery cable back to the battery.
FRONT AND REAR WIPER/WASHER SWITCH
See Figure 2
- Remove the column lower cover.
- Remove the column upper cover.
- Loosen the two screws holding the wiper and washer switch to the column, then remove the switch from the column.
Operate the switch and check the continuity between the terminals for the windshield wiper and washer switch.
Terminals 7 and 8 should have continuity when the switch is in the OFF position.
Operate the switch and check for continuity between the terminals for the rear window wiper and washer switch.
Terminals 2 and 7 should have continuity when the wiper switch is in the ON position.
- If the switch failed any of these tests, replace the old switch with a new unit.
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery switch from the battery.
- Unplug the harness connector to the switch and discard the old switch.
- Attach the wiper and washer switch to the column with the two retaining screws.
- Plug any harness connectors back together.
- Install the upper and lower column covers.
- Connect the negative (-) battery cable to the battery.