REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 13
- For all Pick-ups, remove the sun visors, the inside rear view mirror, the door opening trim, and the front pillar trim. Remove the headlining from the roof panel to provide space for the wire which will be used to cut the windshield free for the adhesive. Also remove the windshield wiper arms and front deck garnishes.
- Using the special window moulding tool to remove the front side and upper mouldings.
- Remove the moulding clips.
- Remove the lower spacer, if so equipped, and dispose of it. A new spacer will be needed for installation.
- Cover the painted body surfaces near the windshield with cloth tape. Then, using a sharp-pointed drill, make a hole in the adhesive area of the windshield. Insert a wire through the hole from the inside.
- From inside and outside (an assistant is necessary) of the vehicle, pull the wire along the edge of the windshield, thus cutting the adhesive.
- Make mating marks on the windshield and body. Take out the windshield by using the glass holders.
If the windshield being removed is to be reinstalled, place it on a protected bench or holding fixture.
- Remove the window dam or spacer from the window opening.
- Using isopropyl alcohol, remove the grease from the glass and body surfaces to which the adhesive will be applied. After removing the grease, allow the cleaned parts to dry for more than three minutes.
- Remove the back paper from the window dam, and attach the window dam to the glass. The window dam should be applied to the inside of the glass at a distance of 0.28 in. (7mm) from the edge of the glass.
- Apply the specified primer (3M® ATD Part No. 8608 or equivalent) to the entire bonding surface of the glass, both to the inside surface and the edge of the glass. Allow to dry for 5 minutes.
Window installation for Pick-ups:
- Using a sharp knife, CAREFULLY remove the old adhesive on the body opening pinch-weld flange evenly to a thickness of within 0.08 in. (2mm) all around. Finish the flange surfaces so that they are smooth.
Be careful not to remove more adhesive than necessary, and also not to damage the paint work on the body surface with the knife. If the paint work is damaged, repair the damaged area with touch-up paint or Tectyl.
- Using an adhesive gun, apply the specified adhesive to the window glass mounting surface. The specified adhesive is 3M® ATD Part No. 8609 or the equivalent.
Cut the nozzle tip into a V shape to facilitate adhesive application.
- Using a glass holder, place the glass on the body opening.
- Press the glass gently so that no adhesive appears. After bonding the glass to the body, install the mouldings securely before the adhesive hardens.
Do not move the glass and mouldings after installing them to the body. Place the glass in the previously marked position. Use care not to close the water groove (in the lower corner of the pinch weld flange) with adhesive.
- After bonding the glass, apply the specified adhesive (3M® ATD Part No. 8609 or the equivalent) all around the bonded area.
- Perform the water test for the windshield. Use cold water spray, being careful not to direct a powerful stream of water on the new adhesive material. Allow the water to spill over the edges of the glass. If there are leaks, apply sealant at the leak point(s).
- Using a clean, lint-free cloth liberally dampened with Glow Chemical Solvent GS-35, 3M® ATD Part No. 8984 or the equivalent, wipe away the dirt from the glass perimeter and the body.
- Install the spacers and moulding clips, if any were removed.
Window installation for Monteros:
- When replacing the glass with a new windshield, temporarily set the glass against the body where they match.
- Install the windshield lower moulding onto the windshield glass.
- Soak a sponge in the primer (3M® Super Fast Urethane Primer Part No. 8608 or the equivalent), and apply evenly to the glass and the body in the places shown in the figure.
The primer increases the adhesive strength, so be sure to apply it evenly around the entire circumference. Also, a too thick of an application will cause a decrease of the adhesive strength. Do not touch the coated surface.
- After applying the primer allow it to dry for 3-30 minutes.
- Within 30 minutes of applying the primer, fill the sealant gun with adhesive (3m® Super Fast Urethane Auto Glass Sealant Part No. 8609 or the equivalent) and apply the adhesive evenly around the entire circumference of the windshield.
Cut the nozzle tip of the sealant gun into a V shape to facilitate the adhesive application.
- After applying the adhesive, match up the mating marks on the glass and the body, lightly press the windshield glass evenly so that it adheres completely.
- After removing any adhesive that is sticking out or adhering to the body or glass with a spatula, clean off the spot with 3M® ATD Part No. 8906 or the equivalent. After completion of this operation (after installing the glass), place it somewhere where it will not be disturbed, until the adhesive sets.
- After attaching the windshield glass to the body, let it stand for 30 minutes or more, and then test for water leakage.
If moving the vehicle, it should be done gently. When testing for water leakage, do not pinch the end of the hose to spray the water.
- Install the window mouldings, if not already done.
- For Pick-up trucks, reinstall the front deck garnishes, the wiper arms, and the interior pieces which were removed during disassembly.