REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The parking brake lever assembly is located under the center of the dashboard.
- Remove the mounting bolt holding the parking brake switch in place on the lever assembly. Remove the switch away from the lever assembly; disconnection of the electrical wires to the switch is not necessary.
- Disconnect the accelerator cable from the accelerator pedal assembly, then remove the accelerator pedal assembly from the parking lever bracket by removing the mounting nut and bolt from the pedal assembly.
- Remove the snapring holding the parking brake cable to the pedal bracket. Be careful not to lose the snapring.
- Remove the pawl from the ratchet mechanism in the brake lever. With the parking brake pull rod pushed in, disconnect the parking brake front cable end from the parking brake pull rod.
- Remove the parking brake pull rod and bracket from the firewall.
- To install, mount the parking brake pull rod bracket to the firewall with the one bolt.
- Attach the front parking brake cable to the parking brake pull rod.
- Install the front cable to the pull rod bracket, and retain with the snapring.
- Mount the accelerator pedal bracket to the pull rod bracket with the mounting nut and bolt.
- Attach the accelerator cable to the accelerator pedal assembly.
- Install the parking brake switch. Adjust the parking brake switch position so that the warning lamp goes out when the parking brake pull rod is fully returned to the in position and will light when the parking brake pull rod is pulled one notch.
- After adjusting the parking brake pull rod stroke, jack up the rear of the vehicle.
- With the parking brake pull rod released, turn the rear wheels to verify that the rear brakes are not dragging.
See Figure 4
- Raise and safely support the rear of the Montero and block the front wheels. Make sure that the parking brake is not applied.
- From under the Montero, disconnect the two rear parking brake cables from the equalizer assembly.
- Inside the vehicle, remove the rear console panel, the inner box and the floor console assembly. Remove the floor console bracket.
- Remove the retaining bolts from the parking brake stay, then remove the stay itself. Remove the bushing from inside of the parking brake stay.
- Remove the parking brake shaft cover.
- Disconnect the parking brake switch harness, then remove the parking brake switch from the parking brake lever assembly.
- Remove the parking brake lever from the floor of the Montero.
- To install, mount the parking brake lever to the floor with the mounting bolts.
- Install the parking brake switch and plug the harness connectors back together.
- Install the parking brake shaft cover with the retaining bolts.
- Install the parking brake stay bushing to the stay, then mount the stay to the parking brake lever assembly and the floor.
- From under the vehicle, connect the two rear parking brake cables to the equalizer assembly. Adjust the cables using the procedures described previously in this section.
- Rotate the rear wheels to make certain that the rear brakes are not rubbing.
- Lower the vehicle back down to the ground and remove the wheel blocks.