REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Since the removal and installation of the brake backing plate requires the removal of the axle shaft from the rear axle housing, referral to Drive Train for the extraction procedures of the axle shaft.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support with jackstands. Make sure to chock the front wheels with wheel blocks and that the parking brake is not engaged.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the rear drum, the brake components and the wheel cylinder from the backing plate-refer to procedures in this section.
- Remove the rear axle shaft from the axle housing-refer to Drive Train for this procedure.
- Remove the four retaining bolts holding the backing plate on the axle shaft, then remove the backing plate from the axle shaft.
- Install the backing plate onto the axle shaft, then install the axle shaft into the axle housing. Tighten the axle flange-to-axle housing bolts to 36-43 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm).
- Install the wheel cylinder, the brake components and the drums onto the rear axles.
- Bleed the brake system and reinstall the wheels.
- Lower the vehicle to the ground and remove the front wheel chocks.