REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the parking brake cable attaching bolts at each side.
- Use 2 floor jacks or an axle cradle to support the weight of the axle. Do not try to balance the axle on 1 jack.
- Remove the bolt that attaches the lateral rod (Panhard rod) to the body.
- Remove the lower shock mounting bolts.
- Slowly lower the axle and remove the coil springs with their seats.
- Reinstall the springs and elevate the axle into position. Make certain that both the spring and seat are correctly positioned.
- Install the lower shock mounting bolt, tightening it to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) for 1989-91 Monteros. Tighten the lower shock mounting bolts to 159-181 ft. lbs. (216-245 Nm) for 1992-95 Monteros.
- Connect the lateral rod to the body and tighten the bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) for 1989-91 Monteros. Tighten the lateral rod mounting bolt to 159-181 ft. lbs. (216-245 Nm) for 1992-95 Monteros.
- Remove the apparatus supporting the axle.
- Reinstall the brackets and bolts holding the parking brake cables.
- Install the rear wheels and lower the vehicle to the ground.