REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the parking brake cable attaching bolts at each side.
- Use 2 floor jacks or an axle cradle to support the weight of the axle. Do not try to balance the axle on 1 jack.
- Remove the bolt that attaches the lateral rod (Panhard rod) to the body.
- Remove the lower shock mounting bolts.
- Slowly lower the axle and remove the coil springs with their seats.
When lowering the jack, take great care not to damage the brake lines running between the main line and the axle housing.
- Reinstall the springs and elevate the axle into position. Make certain that both the spring and seat are correctly positioned.
- Install the lower shock mounting bolt, tightening it to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) for 1989-91 Monteros. Tighten the lower shock mounting bolts to 159-181 ft. lbs. (216-245 Nm) for 1992-95 Monteros.
- Connect the lateral rod to the body and tighten the bolt to 80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm) for 1989-91 Monteros. Tighten the lateral rod mounting bolt to 159-181 ft. lbs. (216-245 Nm) for 1992-95 Monteros.
- Remove the apparatus supporting the axle.
- Reinstall the brackets and bolts holding the parking brake cables.
- Install the rear wheels and lower the vehicle to the ground.