REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Pick-up and 1983-89 Montero
See Figure 1
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the parking brake cable bracket bolts.
- Use 2 floor jacks or an axle cradle to support the weight of the axle. Do not try to balance the axle on 1 jack.
- Disconnect and remove the shock absorber lower mounting nuts, washers and bushings from the lower leaf spring brackets.
- Remove the nuts, washers and U-bolts attaching the springs to the axle housing. Remove the seat and spacer.
- Remove the spring shackle bolts and shackle from the rear of the spring, then remove the spring front bolt.
- Remove the springs from the vehicle.
- When reinstalling, the retaining bolts and shackles must be installed from the outside of the vehicle to the inside. (Threaded end towards the center of the vehicle.) Make sure the rubber bushings are in place and in good condition, replacing any that are compressed or damaged. Tighten the nuts on the rear shackle and front bolt just snug. They will be final tightened later.
- Install the U-bolts and bottom plate, making sure the hole in the bottom plate aligns with the bolt through the spring leaves. Tighten the U-bolts nuts evenly to 72-87 ft. lbs. (100-120 Nm).
- Install the shock absorber, tightening the mounting bolts just snug.
- Remove the axle support apparatus and install the parking brake cable retaining brackets.
- Install the wheel and lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Bounce the rear of the vehicle once or twice to stabilize the suspension. Tighten the shock absorber mounting nuts to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-25 Nm).
- Tighten the front spring retaining nut and bolt to 104 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Tighten the rear spring shackle nuts to 33-43 ft. lbs. (45-60 Nm).