REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Coil Spring Rear Suspension
- Loosen the rear wheel lug nuts 1 / 2 of a turn.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable attaching bolts.
- Remove the rear differential lock position harness attaching bolt and the rear sensor attaching bolt (vehicles with ABS), if so equipped.
- Support the rear axle with a floor jack. Disconnect the lower shock absorber mounting bolts.
- Remove the sway bar mounting brackets and bushings from the rear axle assembly.
- Loosen, then remove the nuts, washers and bushings from the two front ends of the stabilizer bar. Make certain that the order of the various parts is known for reassembly.
- Slowly lower the rear axle being aware that the rear coil springs may fall out of their mounting positions. If this happens it is no big problem, simply refer to the rear coil spring installation procedures after the stabilizer bar has been installed back into the vehicle. Remove the stabilizer bar from the right side of the vehicle.
When lowering the jack, take care not to damage the rear brake pipe between the main brake pipe and the rear axle housing.
- To install, place the sway bar in the vehicle and assemble the joint cups and rubber bushings in the order they were removed. Install the end link nut on the stabilizer bar mounting bolt and tighten until 0.59-0.67 in. (15-17mm) of threads protrudes past the top nut.
- Install the mounting bracket bushings to the sway bar, then tighten the brackets to the rear axle. Tighten the bracket bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- If the coil springs fell out during removal of sway bar, install them now-refer to the coil spring procedures in this section.
- Install the shock absorber lower mounting bolts only until snug.
- Install and tighten the rear sensor attaching bolt, the rear differential lock position harness attaching bolt and the parking brake cable attaching bolts.
- Install the wheels and lower the vehicle to the ground.
Push the rear of the vehicle up and down a few times to help the suspension settle. Tighten the lower shock absorber mounting bolts to the following amounts:
1989-91 Monteros-80-94 ft. lbs. (110-130 Nm)