REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1983-95 Pick-up and 1983-91 Montero
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the vehicle is equipped with a tilt steering column, put the column in its lowest position.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers.
While removal of the steering wheel is not usually required, it makes the job much easier.
- Remove the wiring harness bands or clips. Disconnect the ignition switch harness.
- If the ignition switch (electrical part) can be removed from the lock, remove it. Older vehicles use one-piece units.
- The installation bolts have no head (they were broken off during installation as a theft deterrent); use a hacksaw blade to cut a groove into the head of the special mounting bolts. Use a screwdriver placed in the new groove to remove the bolts.
- Remove the lock assembly from the steering column.
- With the key inserted in the new lock, install the lock assembly to the steering column and hand-tighten new bolts. Turn the key from time to time as the bolts are tightened, making sure the key does not bind.
- Once the lock is in place and confirmed in working order, use a socket wrench to evenly tighten the bolts. Again check the key operation during the tightening. Continue tightening the bolts until the heads break off.
- Connect the switch if it was removed from the lock assembly.
- Connect the wiring harness and check the assembly for proper operation.
- Reinstall or connect any wiring bands, clips or retainers which were loosened. It is important that the wiring be correctly contained and out of the way of any moving parts.
- Install the upper and lower column covers.
- Install the steering wheel if it was removed.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the instrument under cover from the dashboard.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
- On 1994 and later models, remove the illumination ring from the ignition lock cylinder.
- Insert the ignition key into the steering lock cylinder and place the key in the ACC position. Press the lock pin on the side of the lock cylinder down with a small punch or prytool. Pull the cylinder out of the ignition switch.
- To install, push the new lock cylinder into the ignition switch.
- Install the illumination ring onto the lock cylinder.
- Install the upper and lower column covers. Install the instrument under cover to the dashboard.
- Connect the negative cable back to the battery.