The removal and installation procedures are essentially the same for all models of the Pick-up and Montero. The 1992-95 Montero also has a key hole illumination ring, a key hole illumination light timer, and a buzzer assembly.
The key hole illumination ring is located on the tip of the steering lock cylinder. The key hole illumination light timer is mounted to the right-hand side center reinforcement, behind the center console. The buzzer assembly is mounted to the left-hand side center reinforcement.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable from the battery.
- On 1992-95 Monteros, remove the instrument under cover.
- Remove the upper and lower column covers.
- Trace the ignition wires back to their connectors. Reach in through the steering column hole and undo the ignition wire connectors.
- Remove any retaining straps along the ignition wires.
- Loosen and remove the two screws holding the ignition switch clamp on the steering column. Remove the ignition switch from the column.
- Unscrew the screws holding the key reminder switch to the ignition switch housing and remove it.
- To install, screw the key reminder switch back onto the ignition switch housing.
- Place the ignition switch in the correct position on the steering column and secure it there with the two mounting screws.
- Route the wiring back through the steering column hole and plug the connectors back together.
- Secure the ignition wires to the steering column with new wire straps.
- Install the upper and lower column covers.
- On 1992-95 Monteros, install the instrument under cover.
- Connect the battery cable back to the battery.
See Figures 4 through 9
- Disconnect the wiring plug from the ignition switch, and connect an ohmmeter to the switch side plug.
- Operate the switch, and check the continuity between the terminals.
- It may be necessary to remove and reinsert the ignition key, and check the operation of the key reminder switch.
- If the ignition switch fails any of the tests, replace it with a new switch.