REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely on jackstands.
- Remove the wheels if additional access is desired. This is, however, not necessary.
- Remove the pinch bolt that holds the steering column shaft to the steering gear main shaft.
- Remove the cotter pin, castle nut and remove the steering linkage from the Pitman arm. Use a screw type puller to separate the joint-refer to the procedures in this section.
- Remove the steering gear box mounting nuts and remove the gear from the vehicle. New mounting nuts will be needed upon installation.
- Install the steering gear box to the frame and tighten the new mounting nuts to 25-40 ft. lbs. (35-55 Nm).
- Connect the Pitman arm to the relay rod (center link) and tighten the nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Connect the steering universal joint to the gearbox and tighten the pinchbolt to 11-14 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
- Install the wheels, if removed, and lower the vehicle to the ground.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Have the front alignment inspected and adjusted as necessary.