Removal & Installation
3.7L & 4.7L Engines
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the engine oil.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Install engine support fixture 8354. Do not raise engine at this time.
- Loosen both left and right side engine mount through bolts. Do not remove bolts.
- Remove the structural dust cover, if equipped.
- Remove the front crossmember.
Raise engine to provide clearance to remove oil pan.
NOTERaise the engine just enough to provide clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake manifold.
If equipped with 4WD, remove or disconnect the following:
Remove the oil pan mounting bolts and oil pan.
NOTEDo not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket is integral to engine windage tray and does not come out with oil pan.
- Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove tube.
- Inspect the integral windage tray and gasket and replace as needed.
- Clean the oil pan gasket mating surface of the bedplate and oil pan.
- Position the integrated oil pan gasket/windage tray assembly.
- Install the oil pickup tube
- If removed, install stud at position No. 9.
- Install the mounting bolt and nuts. Tighten nuts to 28 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
- Position the oil pan and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 15 Nm (11 ft. lbs.) in the sequence shown.
- Lower the engine into mounts.
- Install both the left and right side engine mount through bolts. Tighten the nuts to 68 Nm (50 ft. lbs.).
- Remove the lifting device.
If equipped with 4WD, install or connect the following:
Front axle mounting bolts
- Install structural dust cover, if equipped.
- Install the front crossmember.
- Refill the engine oil to the correct level.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Start engine and check for leaks.