Removal & Installation
3.5L & 3.9L Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Disconnect the windshield wiper transmission link in front of the wiper motor and position out of the way as follows:
- Remove the driver side and passenger side wiper arms.
- Remove the air inlet grille panel by removing the retaining screws after the wiper arms are removed.
Lower the washer container into the engine compartment.
Disconnect the electrical connector (2) from the wiper motor (1).
- Remove the 4 bolts, in sequence as shown, from the wiper module (5). Carefully guide the wiper modules out of the way to access the alternator.
Rotate the engine forward as follows:
- Remove the throttle body air inlet duct.
- Set the park brake.
- Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside as follows:
Remove the bolt and the nut from the engine mount strut at the left engine mount strut bracket on the engine.
- Install the engine strap (J 41131) and pull on the engine in order to rotate the engine forward.
Tighten the engine strap to hold in this position.
- Remove the drive belt.
Remove the alternator mounting bolts and the alternator.
- Install the alternator into position.
- Install the mounting bolts and torque the bolts 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm) and the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Reattach the alternator wiring connectors.
- Install the alternator drive belt and ensure proper position and tension.
Position the engine back into the normal location and install the engine mount strut bolts, as follows:
Install the engine mount strut.
Connect the windshield wiper transmission as follows:
- Position the wiper module to the lower plenum in the driver side fender flange opening first.
- Rotate the module into the opening at the passenger side plenum.
- Ensure the rear center mount is secure into the sheet metal flange at the rear of the module.
- Install the wiper module bolts. Tighten the bolts in sequence, as shown, to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
- Connect the electrical connector to the motor.
- Install the air inlet grille panel.
- Install the driver side wiper arm and the passenger side wiper arm.
- Secure the washer container.
- Close the hood. Inspect the wiper system for proper operation.
Connect the negative battery cable.