Diagnosis & Testing
If the power mirror system fuse is open and a short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit is not detected, the fault could be a short to ground in one of the power mirror control circuits. This would open the power mirror system fuse when the mirror switch is pressed.
If both power mirrors are inoperative on one or more axis, the most probable cause is a power mirror switch failure. However the fault could be an open circuit on two or more of the power mirror control circuits.
The power mirror assembly is equipped with a pigtail harness and is not serviceable. If an internal open or short is detected in the power mirror assembly, replace the power mirror assembly
- Disconnect the appropriate power mirror.
- Connect a test lamp between the appropriate mirror motor control circuits of the power mirror harness connector.
- Place the mirror selector switch to the mirror to be tested.
- Activate the power mirror switch in both directions for the functions being tested. If the test lamp does not illuminate in both directions, the motor must be tested.
- Test the mirror motor control circuits for an open.
- Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the power mirror switch.
- Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the power mirrors.
- Remove the power window switch bezel.
- Using Special Tool J-38778 or J-42506 or equivalent trim panel clip remover, remove the door trim panel.
- Remove the mirror assembly mounting nut.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Remove the mirror assembly.
- Apply masking tape to the top of the outside of the mirror housing to prevent damage.
- Push the mirror face inward at the bottom until full travel is reached.
- Insert Special Tool J-38778 or equivalent Door Trim Pad Clip Remover behind the glass and the first rib support and pry outward until the mirror face is released.
Remove the center mirror motor mounting screw to remove the motor.
- Install the motor and tighten the mounting bolts to 25 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- When installing the mirror glass, align the mirror face to the backing plate and apply pressure, using a rubber sanding block or equivalent, until an audible click is heard.
- The remainder of the installation is the reverse order of assembly.
- Remove the mounting screws and pull up on the switch plate bezel.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- Remove the power window/mirror switch from the bezel.
- Installation is the reverse order of removal.