Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel, marking the location of the wheel to the hub prior to removal. Mark the individual location of all retainers as they are removed.
- Detach the ABS wheel speed sensor connector.
- Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor jumper harness from the harness retainer clips.
- Remove the stabilizer shaft link.
Remove the cotter pin from the ball stud and loosen the ball stud nut.
- Install Special Tool J-41820 ball joint separator tool over the ball stud and lower control arm as shown.
- Rotate the ball stud nut counterclockwise in order to separate the ball stud from the steering knuckle.
Remove the lower control arm bolts and nuts, and then the lower control arm.
Install or connect the following:
NOTEDo NOT loosen the ball stud nut in order to align the ball stud nut slots to the ball stud cotter pin hole. If necessary, tighten the ball stud castle nut in order to align the ball stud castle nut slot to the ball stud cotter pin hole. Ensure that the cotter pin ends do NOT contact the ABS wheel speed sensor, the ABS sensor connector or the drive axle.
NOTEThis is a prevailing torque type fastener. This fastener may be reused ONLY if: The fastener and its counterpart are clean and free from rust. The fastener develops 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm) of torque/drag against its counterpart prior to the fastener seating. If the fastener does not meet these criteria, REPLACE the fastener.
Lower control arm
NEW cotter pin and bend the ends
Lower control arm nuts, tighten the lower control arm nuts to 71 ft. lbs. (96 Nm)
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (140 Nm) in a criss-cross pattern, after aligning the wheel hub with the reference mark and holes as shown in appropriate illustration.
- Lower the vehicle