Removal & Installation
- Apply the parking brake.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
NOTEWhen removing the wheel, mark the location of the wheel to the hub prior to removal. Mark the individual location of all retainers as they are removed.
NOTEThe halfshaft nut must not be reused. Replace the halfshaft nut with new nut whenever it is removed.
- Remove the halfshaft nut and discard it.
- Release the parking brake.
Remove and support the brake caliper bracket as follows:
Remove the brake caliper from the mounting bracket and support the brake caliper (2) with heavy mechanics wire (1), or equivalent.
CAUTIONDo NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
- Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket (3).
Remove the brake pad retainers from the brake caliper bracket (3).
- Remove the brake caliper from the mounting bracket and support the brake caliper (2) with heavy mechanics wire (1), or equivalent.
- Remove the nut securing the park brake cable routing bracket, if necessary.
Remove the bolt retaining the rear tie rod end from the rear suspension knuckle; do NOT loosen the tie rod end jam nut.
- Loosen, but do not remove, the bolts securing the park brake cable bracket to the suspension knuckle.
- Detach the wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
- Install the puller, J-42129, onto the wheel hub and secure with wheel nuts.
Begin to disengage the halfshaft from the wheel hub and bearing.
- Reposition the suspension knuckle toward the rear of the vehicle.
- Remove the special puller from the wheel hub.
Remove the halfshaft from the rear axle differential and remove the halfshaft from the vehicle, using special removal tool assembly (J 33008-A, J 29794, and J 2619-O1).
WARNINGThe differential output shaft oil seal must be replaced when removing the rear halfshaft.
- Remove the rear halfshaft oil seal.
Position the halfshaft to the differential output shaft.
WARNINGDo not damage the differential output shaft oil seal.
- Carefully align and guide the halfshaft onto the differential output shaft.
- Install the halfshaft fully onto the differential output shaft using light force.
- Verify that the halfshaft is fully seated on the differential output shaft retaining ring by grasping the inner tripot housing and pulling outward. Do not pull on the halfshaft bar. The halfshaft will remain firmly in place when properly engaged.
- Align and carefully guide the halfshaft into the hub and bearing but do not seat fully.
- Position the suspension knuckle to the upper control arm.
Install or connect the following:
Bolt and nut to the upper control arm/suspension knuckle assembly and tighten the bolt to 63 ft. lbs. (85Nm)
- Slowly tighten the nut in order to draw the halfshaft spindle into the wheel hub and bearing and tighten the halfshaft spindle nut to 192 ft. lbs. (260 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Release the parking brake.