Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Position a jack stand under the rear differential and firmly secure the differential to the jack.
- Remove the front propeller shaft.
- Remove the torque tube to bracket through bolt and nut.
- Remove the torque tube to differential bolts.
- Pull the torque tube toward the front of the vehicle in order to disengage the torque tube from the differential pinion shaft.
- Remove the torque tube from the differential.
Remove the drive pinion housing oil seal and discard.
NOTEThe internal components of the torque tube assembly cannot be serviced separately. If corrosion exists that cannot be polished off, or there is excessive scoring or wear, the torque tube must be replaced as a complete assembly.
- Inspect the sealing surface of the propeller shaft contained inside the torque tube, polish corrosion off with a crocus cloth.
- Lubricate the new pinion housing assembly oil seal with synthetic gear oil.
- Use the seal installer, J 44915, in order to install a new oil seal to the drive pinion housing.
- Install the torque tube assembly.
- Inspect the differential carrier lubricant level.
- Align the splines on the torque tube shaft to the differential pinion shaft.
- Install the torque tube to the differential.
- Install the torque tube to bracket through bolt and tighten the torque tube to bracket through bolt nut to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install the torque tube-to-differential carrier bolts and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the front propeller shaft.
- Remove the jack stand from under the rear differential.
- Lower the vehicle.