- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Loose the tie rod jam nut.
- Remove the tie rod ball nut stud.
Using Special Tool J-24319-B or equivalent tie rod puller, separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle.
WARNINGDo not attempt to free the ball stud by using a pickle fork or wedge type tool, because seal or bushing damage could result. Use the proper tool to separate all ball joints.
Remove the outer tie rod from the inner tie rod.
- Install the outer tie rod to the inner tie rod. Do not tighten the tie rod jam nut at this time.
- Install the tie rod to the steering knuckle.
Install the tie rod ball stud nut and tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) plus an additional 120°.
NOTEThis is a prevailing torque type fastener. This fastener may be reused ONLY if: The fastener and its counterpart are clean and free from rust. The fastener develops 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm) of torque/drag against its counterpart prior to the fastener seating. If the fastener does not meet these criteria, REPLACE the fastener.
- Install the front wheel.
- Verify that the steering wheel is centered and wheels are in the straight ahead position.
- Rotate the inner tie rod in order to obtain the proper toe angle of 0°.
- Verify that the number of threads showing on both inner tie rod ends are approximately equal.
- Tighten the tie rod jam nut to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm).