Removal & Installation
An electric fan under the hood can start up even when the engine is not running and can injure you. Keep hands, clothing and tools away from any underhood electric fan.
To help avoid personal injury or damage to the vehicle, a bent, cracked, or damaged fan blade or housing should always be replaced.
Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly.
- Disconnect the cooling fan harness electrical connector.
Remove right side diagonal brace.
- Loosen the engine mount strut nuts engine side.
Remove the engine mount strut bracket brace bolts from the upper radiator support and rotate the struts and brackets rearward.
- Remove hood latch support bolts.
- Reposition hood latch support.
- Remove upper radiator hose.
- Remove the radiator upper mount bolts.
- Remove the radiator upper mounts.
- Disconnect the relay mounting clip and reposition relay and harness aside.
- Remove the cooling fan shroud bolts.
- Reposition the coolant overflow hose clamp at the radiator using the special tool J 38185.
- Disconnect and reposition the coolant overflow hose.
- Disconnect the upper Transmission Oil Cooler (TOC) line from the radiator.
- Disconnect the TOC lines from the fan module retainer clip.
- Remove the cooling fans with the cooling fan shroud.
- Install the cooling fans with the cooling fan shroud.
- Connect the TOC lines to the fan module retainer clip.
Connect the upper TOC line to the radiator.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the cooling fan shroud bolts and tighten the bolts to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Connect the relay mounting clip.
- Install the radiator upper mounts.
- Install the radiator upper mount bolts and tighten the bolts to 88 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the coolant overflow hose to the radiator.
- Reposition the hose clamp to secure the coolant overflow hose using the special tool J 38185.
- Install the upper radiator hose.
- Position hood latch support on the upper radiator support.
- Install the hood latch support bolts and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Position the engine mount struts brackets flush with the upper radiator support.
- Install the engine mount strut bracket brace bolts to the upper radiator support and tighten bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Tighten the engine strut mount nuts on the engine side to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install right side diagonal brace.
- Connect the cooling fan harness electrical connector.
- Install the air cleaner and duct assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.