Removal & Installation
- Remove the drive belt..
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the right front tire and wheel.
- Remove the right engine splash shield.
- Install a utility stand beneath the frame right side rail in order to support the frame / powertrain.
- Remove the two frame right side bolts.
Use the utility stand to lower the frame enough to provide access to the crankshaft balancer.
NOTEThe inertial weight section of the crankshaft balancer is assembled to the hub with a rubber type material. The correct installation procedures (with the proper tool) must be followed or movement of the inertial weight section of the hub will destroy the tuning of the crankshaft balancer.
Remove and discard the crankshaft balancer bolt.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer using the J 24420-C .
- Clean and inspect the crankshaft balancer.
- Apply sealer GM P/N 12345739 or the equivalent to the keyway of the crankshaft balancer.
Install the crankshaft balancer into position over the key in the crankshaft.
- Use the J 29113 in order to install the crankshaft balancer to the crankshaft.
Remove the J 29113 from the crankshaft balancer.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
- Install the crankshaft balancer washer and the new crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten the bolt to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- Use a torque angle meter in order to rotate the bolt 72 degrees.
- Use the utility stand in order to raise the frame / powertrain.
- Install the frame right side bolts.
- Install the engine splash shield.
- Install the right front tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the drive belt.