Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the drive belt.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the right front tire and wheel.
- Remove the right engine splash shield.
- Install the jack stands to the frame.
- Loosen the left frame bolts and remove the right side frame bolts.
- Using the jack stands, lower the right side of the frame to access the crankshaft balancer.
- Remove the torque converter covers.
- Install the Flywheel Lock J-37096 to the flywheel to prevent flywheel rotation.
- Remove the crankshaft balancer bolt and the washer.
Remove the crankshaft balancer using a 3 jaw puller.
- Apply sealant to the keyway of the crankshaft damper. Place the crankshaft damper into position over the key on the crankshaft.
- Install Special Tool J-29113 onto the crankshaft. Rotate the hex nut on the Installer Tool to install the crankshaft damper onto the crankshaft.
- Remove the installer tool.
- If equipped with a 3.5L engine, tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt to 118 ft. lbs. (160 Nm).
If equipped with a 3.9L engine, tighten the crankshaft bolt using the following procedure:
- Install the old crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).
- Remove the old crankshaft bolt.
- Install a NEW crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the bolt to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).
- Tighten the new crankshaft bolt an additional 130 degrees.
- Remove the lock from the flywheel.
- Install the torque converter covers.
- Raise the frame to the original position.
- Install and tighten the frame bolts to 74 ft. lbs. (100 Nm) plus an additional 90 degrees.
- Install the right engine splash shield.
- Install the right front tire and wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the drive belt.