- Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to the fuel system relief procedure in this section.
- Using an air operated pump, drain as much fuel through the fuel fill pipe as possible.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fuel supply pipe quick-connect fitting from the tank.
- Disconnect the evaporative emission (EVAP) purge pipe quick-connect fitting at the EVAP canister.
Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe hose clamp and disconnect the fuel tank filler from the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the vapor recirculation pipe from the filler tube.
- Remove the fuel tank shield.
- Support the fuel tank with the aid of an assistant.
- Remove the fuel tank strap mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the fuel sender and fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connections.
Lower and remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
If the fuel tank is being replaced, the following components must be transferred over to the new tank:
Fuel feed pipe
- With the aid of an assistant, move the fuel tank into position and safely support it.
- Connect the fuel sender and fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connections.
- Install the fuel tank retaining strap bolts and tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (47.5 Nm).
- Install the fuel tank shield.
- Connect the vapor recirculation pipe to the fuel filler pipe.
- Connect the fuel tank filler pipe to the fuel tank. Tighten the hose clamp to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm).
- Connect the fuel feed pipe quick-connect fitting.
- Connect the EVAP purge pipe quick-connect fitting at the EVAP canister.
- Lower the vehicle and add fuel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds and then turn it OFF for 10 seconds. Again t