Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Set the parking brake.
- Drain the rear differential.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEWhen removing the wheel, mark the location of the wheel to the hub prior to removal. Mark the individual location of all retainers as they are removed.
WARNINGDuring the removal of the halfshaft, the differential output shaft may become disengaged from the differential. If this occurs, firmly grasp and separate the output shaft from the halfshaft. Align the splines on the output shaft to the differential and reposition the output shaft to the differential.
Right rear tire and wheel assembly
Electrical connector from the clutch pump check valve
While simultaneously moving the differential assembly to the right side of the vehicle, disengage the left halfshaft from the differential.
- Install the axle housing to the differential.
- Install the rear differential and axle housing assembly to the suspension cradle; at the same time, guide the left halfshaft onto the differential output shaft while positioning the differential assembly to the suspension cradle.
- Place an adjustable support under the torque tube.
- Ensure that the left halfshaft is fully engaged to the differential output shaft.
- Install the differential carrier mounts, washers, bolts, and nuts to the differential. Tighten the differential carrier to cradle mounting bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
- Torque tube bracket to body bolts to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm). Tighten the torque tube to bracket through bolt and nut to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).
- Install the front propeller shaft.
- Install the right rear halfshaft.
- Install the right rear tire and wheel assembly.
- Fill the axle with synthetic gear oil.
- Inspect the differential oil level to ensure it is even with, but not lower than, 6mm (0.25 in) below the opening of the fill hole.
- Attach the electrical connector to the clutch pump check valve.
- Lower the vehicle.