Remove the small seal clamp from the wheel drive shaft bar using side cutters and discard the clamp.
CAUTIONDo not cut into the wheel drive shaft tri-lobal tripot bushing.
- Remove the large seal clamp from the tripot joint with side cutters and discard the clamp.
- Separate the wheel drive shaft inboard seal from the tri-lobal tripot bushing.
- Slide the seal away from the joint along the wheel drive shaft bar.
Remove the housing (1) from the tripot joint spider and the wheel drive shaft bar (2).
- Remove the guide (3) from the spring.
Remove the spring (4) from the tripot housing.
CAUTIONThe correct 60 degree offset relationship between the inner and outer tripot spiders must be maintained. Accurately reference mark the tripot spider position on the wheel drive shaft bar before disassembly.
- Reference mark the position of the tripot spider (1) on the wheel drive shaft bar (2).
- Using a brass drift and hammer, carefully tap around the tripot spider face in order to compress the barrel retaining ring on the wheel drive shaft bar.
- Remove the tripot spider from the wheel drive shaft bar.
- Remove and discard the barrel retaining ring from the wheel drive shaft bar.
- Remove the joint seal from the wheel drive shaft bar.
Inspect the following parts for damage or wear:
Wheel drive shaft inboard seal
- Place the new small swage ring or eared clamp onto the small end of the joint seal. Slide the joint seal and the small swage ring or eared clamp onto the halfshaft bar.
- Position the small end of the joint seal into the joint seal groove on the halfshaft bar.
- For swage ring installation, use the J 41048.
- Position the outboard end of the halfshaft assembly into the J 41048 holding tool.
- Align the swage ring. Insert the bolts and tighten by hand until snug. Tighten each bolt 180 degrees at a time using a ratchet wrench. Alternate between each bolt until both sides are bottomed.
- Loosen the bolts and separate the dies.
- Check swaged ring for any lip deformities.
- For eared clamp installation, mount the halfshaft into a vise.
- Slide the tripot seal to the corresponding groove on the halfshaft bar.
- If equipped, install the spacer ring into the groove of the halfshaft bar.
- Slide the tripot joint spider assembly as far as it will go on the halfshaft bar.
- Install the spacer ring into the groove of the halfshaft bar.
Place approximately half of the grease from the service kit in the halfshaft inboard seal. Use the remainder of the grease to repack the housing.
NOTEEnsure the tri-lobal tripot bushing is flush with the face of the housing.
- Install the tri-lobal tripot bushing to housing.
- Position the larger new seal retaining clamp on the halfshaft inboard seal.
- Slide the housing over the tripot joint spider assembly on the halfshaft bar.
Slide the large diameter of the halfshaft inboard seal, with larger clamp in place, over the outside of the tri-lobal tripot bushing and locate the lip of the seal in the groove.
WARNINGThe halfshaft inboard seal must not be dimpled, stretched out or out of shape in any way. If the halfshaft inboard seal is not shaped correctly, carefully insert a thin flat blunt tool, no sharp edges, between the large seal opening and the tri-lobal tripot bushing in order to equalize the pressure. Shape the halfshaft inboard seal properly by hand.
- Position the joint assembly at the proper vehicle dimension (-a- - 4.0 inches (106mm).
- Check the gap dimension (a) on the clamp ear. If the gap dimension is larger than shown, continue tightening until the gap dimension of 0.102 inch (2.6mm) is reached.
- Fully stroke the joint several times to disperse the grease.
- Reinstall the halfshaft