- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels and tires.
- Relieve cable tension from the park brake system at the equalizer. there should be no tension on the park brake cables, so that the brake shoes are positioned only by the adjuster strut.
- Remove the rear drums.
- Set the J 21177-A so that the J 21177-A contacts the inside diameter of the drum at the widest point.
- Position the J 21177-A over the shoes at the widest point.
- Turn the adjuster nut until the shoes just contact the J 21177-A .
- Repeat steps 2-7 for the other rear brake assembly.
- Install the rear drums..
- Install the rear wheels and tires.
- Adjust the park brake cable system.
- Lower the vehicle.
Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake drum.
- Remove the actuator spring from the brake shoes. Remove the retractor spring from the shoe web, being careful not to over stretch the spring.
- Remove the adjuster shoe, adjuster actuator and adjusting screw assembly.
- Do not remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever, unless the lever is being replaced. Remove the parking brake shoe.
Remove the retractor spring, as required.
- Lubricate the contact points on the backing plate with lithium grease. Clean and lubricate the adjuster with lithium grease.
- Install the retractor spring, if removed.
- Install the parking brake shoe against the backing plate and snap the retractor spring into the slot on the brake shoe. Install the parking brake lever onto the parking brake shoe.
- Install the adjuster shoe and adjusting screw assembly. Install the retractor spring into the slot on the adjuster shoe web.
- Lubricate and install the adjuster actuator onto the adjuster shoe. Install the actuator spring.
- Ensure the parking brake system is adjusted properly with no tension on the cables or parking brake lever. The tops of the shoes should be firmly seated against the upper spring retaining anchor, if not as specified, loosen the parking brake cables.
- Adjust the brakes using J-21177-A or equivalent. Turn the adjuster screw until the brake lining diameter is 0.050 in. (1.27mm) less than the inside diameter of the brake drum. Install the brake drum.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.