- Turn the ignition OFF .
- Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system. Refer to the Chassis Electrical Section.
- Remove the inflator module.
- If there are no alignment mark on the steering wheel hub, scribe an alignment mark on the steering wheel hub in line with the mark on the steering shaft.
- Loosen the steering wheel nut.
- Position the steering wheel nut flush with the end of the steering column shaft.
Loosen the steering wheel using the following tools:
For Pontiac vehicles, use J 1859-A and J 42578
- Disconnect the steering wheel controls electrical connector.
Disconnect the horn switch lead from the steering hub.
- Remove the steering wheel nut.
- Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft.
- If equipped, remove the controls and the controls harness from the steering wheel.
- If equipped install the controls and the controls harness to the steering wheel
- Route the SIR connector through the steering wheel.
- Align the mark on the steering wheel with the mark on the steering shaft.
Install the steering wheel.
NOTEUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
NOTEThis is a prevailing torque type fastener. This fastener may be reused ONLY if the following conditions are true:
The fastener and its counterpart are clean and free from rust
- If the fastener does not meet these criteria, REPLACE the fastener.
- Install the steering wheel nut, and tighten the nut to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- Connect the horn switch lead to the steering hub.
- Connect the steering wheel controls electrical connector.
- Install the inflator module.
- Enable the SIR system.
- Verify that the steering wheel controls operate properly.
- Verify that the horn operates properly.