Removal & Installation
3.8L (VIN 1) Engine
The 3.8L (VIN 1) engine is equipped with a belt-driven supercharger. Note that the supercharger has no user-replaceable parts inside and, if defective must be replaced as a unit. Use care when handling the supercharger to keep debris from entering the air intake. The supercharger lubrication system is sealed and separate from the engine oil system. If it is necessary to add oil, use only GM Supercharger Oil #12345982.
- Remove the accessory drive belt. Please see Section 1.
- Remove the engine cover and disconnect the air intake duct.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure. Please see Section 5.
- Remove the Ignition Control Module (ICM) harness from the fuel rail.
- Remove the spark plug wire clips from the supercharger.
- Remove the vacuum lines from the fuel rail.
- Remove the fuel rail. Please see Section 5.
- Remove the booster bypass nut.
- Remove the regulator valve and harness bolt.
- Remove the boost solenoid bolts.
- Remove the bolts from the vacuum block.
- Remove the MAP sensor bracket bolts.
- Remove the bolts, nuts and spacers from the supercharger and carefully lift the supercharger assembly from the engine. Discard the gasket. Cover the manifold with a clean cloth to keep debris out of the intake manifold.
- Clean all parts well. Install the supercharger gasket and carefully lower the supercharger into place. Install the bolts, nuts and spacers in their proper locations, as noted at removal.
- Torque the supercharger retainer bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Install the remaining components in the reverse order of the removal process.