Adjust the sunroof window vertical height using the following procedure.
- The sunshade must be fully open and the window fully closed.
- Loosen the six screws and individually adjust the four corners of the window panel.
Adjust the front of the sunroof window to the following specifications:
- Buick and Pontiac: 1 / 32 (0.8mm) below the top surface of the roof panel and the rear 1 / 32 (0.8mm) above the top surface.
- Chevrolet and Oldsmobile: front of the window should be flush to 0.080 inch (2mm) below the roof surface and the rear of the window should be flush to 0.080 inch (2mm) above the roof surface.
- Buick and Pontiac: Tighten the screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Chevrolet and Oldsmobile: Tighten the screws to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
A power sunroof is an option on W-Body vehicles. It features a sliding window panel and a manually operated sunshade. The sunroof is electrically operated from a rocker switch located in the center of the windshield header area. To put the sunroof in the vent position, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and press, then release the control switch rearward position. On Pontiac and Chevrolet vehicles, when the control switch rearward position is pressed and released with the window in the vent position, the window will slide back above the roof panel to the fully open position. On Buick and Oldsmobile vehicles, the window will retract downwards and slide rearward into the storage space between the roof panel and the headliner. Both vehicles are equipped with a wind deflector that extends just above the roof line when the window panel is in the open position. To close, hold the control switch in the forward position until the window completely closes, retracting the wind deflector and sealing against the roof opening flange. An express module at the front of the module causes the window panel to stop in the closed, vent, and fully open positions. An electrical harness is routed along the left portion of the windshield header and down the left windshield pillar.Removal & Installation
- Remove the headliner using the procedure found in this section.
- Remove the sunroof switch by grasping the switch on its left and right side and pulling straight downward to disengage it from its mounting bracket.
- Remove the motor attaching screws and separate the motor and drive gear assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the motor and drive gear assembly to the sunroof. Tighten the screws to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Install the headliner and sunroof switch.
- Retime the sunroof motor, as follows:
- With the sunroof motor removed from the vehicle, back-probe the connector with an ohmmeter.
- Connect the meter leads between the white and yellow wires located at the gear housing portion of the motor.
- Insert a large, flat-bladed tool into the motor gear slot. Rotate the sunroof motor gear counterclockwise (turning the flat-bladed tool clockwise) until the ohmmeter shows Open Circuit. This positions the gear drive to FULL VENT.
- Continue to turn the motor gear drive exactly 1 1 / 2 additional turns counterclockwise. This will retime the motor to the fully closed position. Make sure the sunroof window is in the fully closed position.
- Install the sunroof motor to the vehicle using the procedure found in this section.