Buick Century 1997-2000
Buick Regal 1997-2000
Chevrolet Lumina 1997-2000
Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1997-2000
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 1997
Oldsmobile Intrigue 1998-2000
Pontiac Grand Prix 1997-2000
These vehicles use systems that inform the driver when an oil change is needed. This indicator should be reset after every oil change. There are some variations to the reset procedures depending on the make, model, year and the vehicle's optional equipment. The vehicle's owner's manual should be consulted because it will help identify the system used on your specific vehicle, engine and option combination.
One version of the system is called the Change Oil Soon Indicator. It predicts when the oil's remaining life is almost up. The system predicts remaining oil life using travel distances, coolant temperature, engine RPM, and vehicle speed inputs. This indicator alerts the driver to change to oil on a schedule consistent with the vehicle's driving conditions.
Another variation is called the Oil Life Monitor. The oil life monitor shows the percentage of the oil's remaining useful life. The system predicts remaining oil life using travel distances, coolant temperature, engine RPM, and vehicle speed inputs. This monitor should also be reset after every oil change.
Oil Life Monitor
Follow this procedure to reset the GM Oil Life System® on vehicles equipped with the DE 100 Series Radio®.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ACC or ON positions and the radio off.
- Press and hold the DISP button on the radio for at least five seconds until SETTINGS is displayed.
- Press and seek up or down arrow to scroll through the main menu.
- Scroll until OIL LIFE appears on the display.
- Press the PREV or NEXT button to enter the submenu. RESET will be displayed.
- Press the DISP button to reset. A chime will be heard to verify the new setting and DONE will be displayed for one second.
- Once the message has been reset, scroll until EXIT appears on the display.