Buick Century 1997-2000
Buick Regal 1997-2000
Chevrolet Lumina 1997-2000
Chevrolet Monte Carlo 1997-2000
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 1997
Oldsmobile Intrigue 1998-2000
Pontiac Grand Prix 1997-2000
Most of the starter motor and solenoid assemblies used by vehicles covered by this product are non-serviceable starter assemblies, with the exception of some 3.8L engines using GM's SD255 starter motor.
Removal & Installation
3.8L Engine With Sd255 Starter Motor Only
- Remove the starter motor from the engine as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the starter solenoid screws.
- Rotate the solenoid 90 degrees ( 1 / 4 turn) and pull the solenoid out of the starter.
- Clean all parts well. Lubricate the solenoid core. Apply one complete packet (1 gram) of GM Part Number 10477431 grease evenly around the inside edge of the solenoid core. Apply all grease thickly to the first 1 / 2 inch (13mm) inside the edge of the core. Plunger movement will distribute grease properly. Avoid getting dirt or other contamination in the grease before installing the solenoid to the starter.
- Assemble the solenoid over the plunger by compressing the spring and aligning the solenoid motor field terminal with the field lead on the starter.
- Tighten the starter solenoid to starter motor screws to 58 inch lbs. (6.5 Nm). Tighten the solenoid motor solenoid to field terminal screw to 65 inch lbs. (7.3 Nm).
- Install the starter motor using the procedure described above.