- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the drums.
- Remove the automatic adjuster spring and lever.
- Remove the hold-down clips and pins.
- Rotate the automatic adjuster starwheel enough so both shoes move out far enough to be free of the wheel cylinder boots.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the actuating lever.
- Remove the lower shoe to shoe spring.
With the shoes held together by the upper shoe to shoe spring, remove them from the backing plate.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the backing plate. To prepare the backing plate, lubricate the bosses, anchor pin and parking brake actuating lever pivot surface lightly with lithium based grease.
- Remove, clean and dry all brake components. Lubricate the starwheel shaft threads with anti-seize lubricant and transfer all parts to their proper locations on the new shoes.
- Reinstall the lower spring.
- Reconnect the parking brake cable.
- Reinstall the automatic adjuster lever and spring.
- Adjust the starwheel.
- Remove any grease from the linings and install the drum.
- Reinstall the wheels and properly adjust the brakes.
- Check for proper brake system operation.