Air Conditioning Compressor & Power Steering Pump
The automatic belt tensioner maintains proper tension on the power steering/air conditioning belt. After belt is installed, inspect belt length indicator marks. The indicator mark should be within the minimum belt length and maximum belt length marks. On a new belt, the indicator mark should align approximately with the nominal belt length mark.
Check belt tension using Special Tool 8371 - Belt Tension Gauge Adapter, and the DRBIII® using the following procedures:
- Connect 8371 to the DRBIII® following the instructions provided with tool.
- Place end of microphone probe approximately 1 inch (2.54cm) from belt at one of the belt center span locations
Pluck the belt a minimum of 3 times. (Use your finger or other suitable tool).
- The frequency of the belt in hertz (Hz) will display on DRBIII® screen
Adjust belt to obtain proper frequency (tension) by tightening the adjusting bolt and set belt tension to the following specifications:
- New: 135 lbs. (224 -252 Hz)
- Used: 70 lbs. (172 -181 Hz)
Tighten alternator pivot bolt and locking nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
Belt Tension Inspection
Inspect the drive belt for signs of glazing or cracking. A glazed belt will be perfectly smooth from slippage, while a good belt will have a slight texture of fabric visible. Cracks will usually start at the inner edge of the belt and run outward. All worn or damaged drive belts should be replaced immediately.
Drive Belt Routings
Removal & Installation
A/C Compressor & Power Steering Pump
- Using a 17mm wrench, rotate belt tensioner clockwise until belt can be removed from power steering pump pulley. Gently, release spring tension on tensioner.
Remove the drive belt
- Install the drive belt over all the pulleys except for the power steering pump pulley.
- Using a 17 mm wrench, rotate belt tensioner clockwise until belt can be installed on the power steering pulley. Release spring tension onto belt.
- After belt is installed, inspect belt length indicator marks. Refer to the Adjustment procedure in this section.
- Remove power steering pump/air conditioning compressor drive belt.
- Loosen alternator locking nut.
- Raise vehicle on hoist.
- Remove accessory drive belt splash shield.
- Loosen alternator pivot bolt.
- Loosen alternator adjusting bolt until alternator belt can be removed.
Remove alternator belt.
- Install belt around pulleys
- Adjust belt tension by tightening adjusting bolt, refer to Adjustment procedure in this section.
- Tighten alternator pivot bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install accessory drive belt splash shield.
- Lower vehicle.
- Tighten alternator locking nut to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
- Install power steering pump/air conditioning compressor drive belt.