- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
If equipped, remove the air cleaner inlet duct.
Remove the ignition coil pack.
Unfasten the valve cover retaining bolts, then remove the valve cover.
- Remove and discard the cover gasket. Inspect the spark plug well gaskets and replace if necessary. Thoroughly clean the cover and cylinder head mating surfaces. Make sure the cylinder head cover mating surfaces is flat.
Do not let any oil or solvents come in contact with the timing belt, as they can deteriorate the rubber and cause tooth skipping.
- Install new gasket(s). For DOHC engines, apply a suitable RTV sealant at the camshaft cap corners and at the top edges of the 1 / 2 round seal. Position the cover on the head and install the retainers.
- For SOHC engines, tighten the retainers to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
For DOHC engines, tighten the retainers in order, as follows:
- Step 1: Tighten all fasteners to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Step 2: Tighten all fasteners to 6.5 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Step 3: Tighten all fasteners to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the ignition coil pack. Tighten the retainers to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm) for SOHC engines or to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm) for DOHC engines.
- If equipped, install the air cleaner inlet duct.
- Connect the negative battery cable.