This section gives an overview of ignition tests (with examples) for a Distributor Ignition System.
- Perform these checks prior to connecting the Engine Analyzer:
- Check the battery condition (verify that it can sustain a cranking voltage of 9.6v).
- Inspect the ignition coil for signs of damage or carbon tracking at the coil tower.
- Remove the coil wire and check for signs of corrosion on the wire or tower.
- Test the coil wire resistance with a DVOM (it should be less than 7 k/ohm per foot).
- Connect a low output spark tester to the coil wire and engine ground. Verify that the ignition coil can sustain adequate spark output while cranking for 3-6 seconds.
- Connect the Engine Analyzer to the Ignition System, and choose Parade display. Run the engine at 2000 RPM, and note the display patterns, looking for any abnormalities.