Perform the following checks prior to connecting the Engine Analyzer:
- Check the battery condition (verify that it can sustain a cranking voltage of 9.6v).
- Inspect the ignition coils for signs of damage or carbon tracking at the coil towers.
- Remove the secondary ignition wires and check for signs of corrosion.
- Test the plug wire resistance with a DVOM (specification varies from 15-30 k/ohm).
- Connect a low output spark tester to a plug wire and to engine ground. Verify that the ignition coil can sustain adequate spark output for 3-6 seconds.
Secondary Ignition System Scope Patterns (V6 Engine)
- Connect the Engine Analyzer to the ignition system.
- Turn the scope selector to view the -Parade Display- of the ignition secondary.
- Start the engine in Park or Neutral and slowly increase the engine speed from idle to 2000 rpm.
Compare actual display to the examples below.