Prior to proceeding with Road Test Verification for Non-OBD II codes, inspect the vehicle to ensure that all engine components are properly connected. Reassemble and connect all components as needed.
If the Road Test Verification procedure is for a No Code Fault, refer to the OBD II Drive Cycle article in this section.
For trouble codes that are not OBD II related, continue with this Road Test Verification step. For previously read codes that have not been repaired, refer to the correct code repair test and perform the repair test steps.
For No Code Faults
To locate the cause of a No Code Fault or a Driveability Symptom, do the following test steps:
- Check to see if the initial symptom is still present.
- f the initial symptom or another symptom is present, the repair is not completed.
- Check all pertinent technical service bulletins for corrective actions that fit the symptom. Then refer to the DaimlerChrysler No Code Test menu in other repair manuals or electronic media for a list of tests to run on non-monitored devices and their related circuits (i.e., secondary ignition, engine timing, etc.).
PCM Has Not Been Changed
If the PCM has not been changed, do the following steps:
- Connect a scan tool, read, record and erase all codes.
- Use the scan tool to reset all values in the adaptive memory.
Road Test Verification For A/C Relay Non-OBD II Codes
Drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with the A/C on.
- During the drive cycle, go at least 40 mph and at some point, stop the vehicle and turn off the engine for 10 seconds or more.
- Then, restart the engine and drive the vehicle while shifting through all gears.
- Return to the service bay and verify that no codes are stored.
Road Test Verification For Charging System Non-OBD II Codes
If the PCM has been changed, and the vehicle is equipped with factory theft alarm, perform the following:
- Start the vehicle 20 times to activate the alarm.
- Connect the scan tool, read, record and erase all trouble codes.
- Start the engine, then raise and hold the engine speed at 2000 rpm for 30 seconds.
- Return to idle speed, turn the engine off, then turn the key on and read the Charging System trouble codes.