The fluid level should be checked and adjusted with the engine off to prevent injury from moving engine components.
Use only Mopar® ATF+4 automatic transmission fluid (ms-9602) or equivalent in the power steering system. Do not overfill.
- Fill the power steering fluid reservoir to the proper level, then let the fluid settle for at least two minutes.
- Start the engine and let run for a few seconds, then turn the engine off.
- Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
- Raise the front wheels off the ground.
- Start the engine. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops.
- Add power steering fluid if necessary.
- Lower the vehicle and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
- Stop the engine. Check the fluid level and refill as required.
- If the fluid is extremely foamy, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the above procedure.