The vehicles covered by this manual are equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), which uses an air bag. Whenever working near any of the SRS components, such as the impact sensors, the air bag module, steering column and instrument panel, disable the SRS.
- Place steering wheel so the wheels are in the straight ahead position then, rotate the steering wheel 1 / 2 turn (180°) to the right (clockwise).
- Lock the steering column, then remove keys from the ignition.
Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable. Wait at least 2 minutes before continuing the service procedure in order to properly disable the air bag system.
CAUTIONFailure to disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable could cause the air bag to deploy and possibly injury.
If equipped, remove the speed control switches and detach the wire connectors or unfasten the screws and remove the covers.
Unfasten the driver airbag module screws/bolts from the sides of the steering wheel. Carefully lift the module, then detach the airbag and horn wire connectors. Place the module, inflator side up, on a suitable work bench out of the way.
Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. If equipped, remove the steering wheel vibration damper.
Attach a suitable puller to the steering wheel, then use it to pull the steering wheel from the shaft. When removing the steering wheel, carefully feed the wires gently through the holes in the clockspring armature.
Make sure the following conditions exist:
- That the steering wheel position is still 1 / 2 turn (180°) to the right (clockwise)
- The steering column is in the LOCK position in the ignition cylinder lock.
- Turn signal stalk is in the neutral (middle) position.
- Installing the steering wheel, making sure the flats on the hub align with the clockspring. Pull the horn lead, airbag and speed control leads through the larger slot. Make sure the leads do NOT get pinched under the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
Install the steering wheel air bag module, as follows:
- Attach the squib wire to the module. Make sure air bag connection by pressing straight in on the connector. The connector should be fully seated; feel for a snap to indicate proper connection.
- Install the retainers and tighten to 90 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
- Install the non-speed control covers to the steering wheel armature or attach the connectors to the speed control switches and install the switches. Tighten the switch retainers to 20 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Make sure the negative battery cable is disconnected.
- Turn the ignition key to the ON position and exit the vehicle.
- After making sure that no one is in the vehicle reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Check the airbag Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL). The lamp should stay on for several seconds after the battery is reconnected and then the lamp should go out.
If the lamp fails to light, flashes or stays on constantly:
- Connect a scan tool to the Data Link Connector (DLC), located at the right side of the steering column and at the lower edge of the lower instrument panel and check the Airbag Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) memory and make repairs as necessary.