Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly from the side of the vehicle requiring control arm replacement.
Remove the steering knuckle-to-ball joint ball stud, clamping nut and bolt.
- Remove the 2 attaching links connecting the stabilizer bar to the lower control arms.
Loosen, but do not remove the bolts holding the stabilizer bar retainers to the crossmember. Then, rotate the stabilizer bar and attaching links away from the lower control arms.
WARNINGPulling the steering knuckle out from the vehicle after releasing the ball joint can separate the inner CV-joint.
Use a pry bar to separate the steering knuckle from the ball joint stud. Be careful when separating the ball joint stud from the knuckle, so the seal does not become damaged.
Remove the front lower control arm bushing-to-crossmember attaching nut and bolt. Remove the rear lower control arm-to-crossmember and frame rail attaching bolt. Then, remove the lower control arm from the crossmember.
Position the lower control arm into the front crossmember. Install the rear lower control arm-to-crossmember and frame rail attaching bolt. Do NOT tighten the rear bolt at this time. Then, install the front lower control arm-to-crossmember nut and bolt.
- Tighten the front lower, then the rear control arm nut and bolt to 120 ft. lbs. (163 Nm).
- Place the ball joint stud into the steering knuckle. Install the steering knuckle-to-ball joint stud clamping bolt and nut. Tighten the bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Assemble the stabilizer bar-to-lower control arm link assemblies and bushings.
Rotate the stabilizer bar into position, installing the stabilizer bar links into the lower control arms. Install the top stabilizer bar link bushings and nuts. Do NOT tighten the link yet.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle so the suspension is supporting the total weight of the vehicle.
- Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-lower control arm links to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
- Tighten the stabilizer bar bushing retainer-to-crossmember attaching bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).