Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
NOTEAfter all components are installed on the engine, a DRB® scan tool is necessary to perform the camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure.
- Drain the cooling system.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEIt is not necessary to disconnect the power steering lines.
Negative battery cable
Right engine mount bracket
- Clean all mating surfaces of any residual gasket material.
Install a new O-ring in the water pump groove.
NOTEHold the O-ring in place with a few small dabs of silicone sealant.
WARNINGBefore proceeding, be sure the O-ring gasket is properly seated in the water pump groove before tightening the screws. An improperly installed O-ring could cause a coolant leak.
Install or connect the following:
NOTERotate the pump by hand to check for freedom of movement.
Water pump, torque the bolt to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Use a pressure tester to pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi (103 kPa) and check the water pump shaft seal and O-ring for leaks.
Inner (rear) timing belt cover
- Refill the cooling system.
Use a DRB® scan tool to perform the camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure, as follows:
- Connect the scan tool to the DLC, located under the instrument panel near the steering column.
- Turn the ignition switch ON , and access the -miscellaneous- screen.
- Select the -re-learn cam/crank- option, then follow the instructions on the scan tool screen.